Sunday 25 February 2007

Torn and Twisted

"Then I'm dying on the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun
Torn and twisted at the foot of a burning bike
And I think somebody somewhere must be tolling a bell
And the last thing I see is my heart
Still beating
Breaking out of my body
And flying away
Like a bat out of hell"
- Bat out of hell, Meatloaf

I like these few lines from this song. They create an interesting image in my mind. And in an odd way, something I can relate to. I get an image of a heart with wings flying away from a broken body, so taking the lyrics literally. It's a weird idea to be able to relate to the idea of watching one's heart break out of one's body and fly away, and being left broken and heartless. I don't think I'd ever become heartless but I can relate to feeling broken and maybe lacking in control when it comes to matters of the heart. But really, do we ever have control? We like to think so but I'm not sure we do, or even can. We don't choose who we love and/or don't love, it just kind of happens. It's weird to know you need to turn away from someone who loves you because you don't feel the same. But it happens. It's not easy, for either involved but arguably what needs to be done. I am also able to take the description in the first few lines about being physically broken and relating it to the feelings of being emotionally broken. Emotions can so easily be torn and twisted, particularly by those who mean the most to us, though hopefully they're the ones trying to protect us from having that happen. But it is a part of life. We just have to hope that we don't end up so broken that we can't be put back together.

No comments: