Sunday 14 January 2007

Somewhat disturbing....


Alright, I found this on a friend of mine's blog (fyrephreak) and it got me thinking. There are so many people fixated on diamonds and their value, but how many people think about where they come from, and how they are retrieved? Probably not too many, because people have a tendancy to ignore things like this. There are so many people that own diamonds or one day hope to. How many can say that their diamond is not a conflict diamond, or even stop to consider something like that? The value people place on diamonds is not something that I understand. I'm not one who is particularly into material things generally, so I suppose that's part of the reason I don't understand. What is it that makes a diamond worth so much? Obviously, this is not something I know a whole lot about. I pick up random bits here and there and it seems that the more I learn about it the less desire I have to own a diamond. Oh well, I guess that's just me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Still leaves every guy out there in a dilemma (maybe not gay men) when they are expected to buy a diamond for engagement. Should they spend a few months pay on that? Or will woman really understand receiving a ring accompanied by a better honeymoon trip? Or will women expect Canadian diamonds for even more dough to avoid the blood diamonds? It’s funny how first world countries have built diamond engagements into a tradition I am sure was reserved for the rich a few hundred years ago. Yet it seems so commercial enterprise driven. Almost like how Christmas has become a holiday of spending to impress or fulfill expectations by many, even though most company would enjoy just celebrating together without the stress.