Tuesday 6 March 2007

Decisions

"It may be the wrong decision, but fuck it, it's mine."
- House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski

I read this line last night and something just clicked for me. It makes so much sense and yet it's not something I've really ever considered before. Because, if you think about it, if you can't take responsibility and stand behind your own decisions, then how can you expect anyone else to stand behind you on them. Do you get what I'm saying? Really, we never know if the decision we made was right or wrong until after its been made anyway so why can't we just accept it as our own despite what happens after? I've made decisions that turned out well and decisions that didn't turn out so well, but they are decisions I have made and I'm coming to accept that. People, in general, need to learn to accept the decisions they have made whether they like the results or not. Occasionally we are given an opportunity to change decisions that were previously made and we get a second chance to make the "right" one, though it's still up to us as to whether we change the decision or not. But, who's to say whether a decision was "right" or "wrong"? I think it's all a matter of opinion. I may make a decision that someone watching me thinks is stupid, or just can't understand why I would do something like I did, but to me it might be what I need to do, for others involved or maybe just for me. So, we have to accept our decisions as ours and accept that we may have done right for us but others may not be able to understand that. I know I've walked away from good things but when doing so also knew that it was what I needed to do. I couldn't keep doing what I was doing as hard as it was to turn away, it was the decision I had made. I can accept my own choices and accept that they are why I am where I am. Can you? Are you able to take responsibility for yourself, for your actions? Do you know how you ended up where you are? We make decisions all the time. Some requiring more thought than others. Some seemingly insignificant. And some that seem like they will change everything. Our days are made up of decision after decision, whether we are consciously aware of it or not. This is why we need to learn to accept our decisions are ours regardless of whether they are "right" or "wrong", especially because we may never really know. So you know what? Fuck it, it's mine.

No comments: